In this link building guide, we will cover what is backlinks and how to create them. So what are Backlinks?
Link building often referred to off-page optimization or Backlinks are links created on other websites pointing to your website.
Backlinks are extremely important in SEO and your website cannot succeed without it.
Here are a few points on why Backlinks is very essential in SEO?
- Backlinks help search engines to rank your website. One of the best ways to get your website index is to have a link on a website that is already indexed. Google bot will crawl those links and index it in their database.
- Backlinks pointing to your website will tell the search engines what your website is all about. If Google bot crawls a link with an anchor text which says best red shoes, it will think this page is about best red shoes and it will index in that particular category. e.g. Learn about <a href=”www.abc.com”> best red shoes </a>
- More relevant backlinks mean the website is more important and thus will index in search engines much faster.
Link building guide: What’s the best strategy for creating Backlinks?
Google wants the best content to be at the top of search results. So the best strategy for link building will be creating high-quality content.
By creating high-quality content you can get a lot of links through natural ways (other websites will link to your webpage i.e. because of your good content).
But you should also try to circulate your blogs too as many channels as possible.
Though it might not be an easy task to always create high-quality content so there are other ways through which you can create backlinks.
But first, let’s understand a different kind of Backlinks
Type of Backlinks
Before getting into the link building guide, lets first understand what are backlinks. There are 2 types of backlinks
- Do follow – These types of links pass SEO benefits through them.
- no-follow – These types of links do not pass any SEO benefits through them. Any links that are posted on social media and blog comments are no-follow backlinks. These types of links can help in bringing traffic but it doesn’t help in SEO.
For e.g. <a href=”www.google.com” rel=”nofollow”> I am a nofollow link </a> ——> This is a no follow backlinks.
High Authority and relevant Backlinks
All backlinks are not equal, backlinks from high authority pages in your niche will have more SEO benefits than backlinks from low authority websites. So you should try to get backlinks from high authority websites.
You should always try to create backlinks from your niche even the linking site has low domain authority. Relevant links can boost your site SEO more than high DA websites which are not relevant to your niche.
For e.g., If you have a website on Yoga you should try to create backlinks from other Yoga websites not just from any random websites.
Note: Don’t try to create too many low-quality backlinks to your website.
Sometimes low-quality backlinks may hurt your website ranking rather than boosting your website in google. The links which are very easy to get are often the links that have no or very fewer values.
What is PageRank?
When Google was created it was based on PageRank which is named after Larry Page one of the founders of Google.
So if one of the websites links to your website then they pass a vote of confidence to your website.
So if you are having more links to your website it will show higher in search engines.
PageRank is a score given to all the web pages on a score of 0 to 10. So the website who are having high authority are PR10 websites like Youtube, Facebook, etc.
While a new website will have a PR0 score. So getting backlinks from high PR websites can boost your website very significantly.
After 2013 Google stop publishing the PR score and said they will not update it anymore.
After Google stop publishing the PR, a company called MOZ start publishing DA(Domain authority) which is very similar to PR except they measure website on 0 to 100 score.
So high-quality websites have high DA and low-quality websites have low DA.
If your website is getting all the backlinks from the same kind of websites it will send a red signal to Google that you are trying to force your website to rank up.
The same happens with your anchor text if you have a lot of same anchor text, for example, best digital marketing courses than it will send a red signal to Google.
You should not get under the impression that you are trying to build links forcefully it should look natural.
Ideally, your websites should have several different kinds of websites linking to it. The sites should have nofollow and dofollow backlinks.
Your website should have different kinds of anchor tags as well (brand names, URL, keywords, etc.)
It is not mandatory that your website should have link diversity but you should take care of this so that you are not flagged by Google.
Link Building Guide: Different methods to create Backlinks
1. By analyzing your competitor’s backlinks
There are a lot of tools that you can use to research competitor’s backlinks. You can check this detailed article for backlinks research tools.
For e.g. We can use a chrome extension called MOZBAR to analyze our competitor’s backlinks. For this, you just need to add an extension called Mozbar. After installing it in your browser you can sign up for a free account.
Now once you have installed the chrome extension, you can use the link explorer of Mozbar to get all the backlinks of your competitors. You can check how they are getting do-follow backlinks and replicate it for your webpages.
2. Forum websites
Linking from forum websites can be a very effective link building method. For e.g., if you sell a red hat, then you need to find out all the forums related to the red hat.
You can go to a search engine and type ‘red hat forums’ or ‘hat forums’ or ‘hat community’ etc.
You can find many forum websites in your niche. To build the backlinks on Forum websites you need to first create an account on those forum groups.
After creating your profile, search for questions related to your topic. Now before starting to promote your products/services
You can get backlinks from Youtube, though the backlink would be a no-follow backlink still it is relevant. Simply you need to upload videos from your account and in the description, you can include a backlink to your website.
Things to remember while getting backlinks from Youtube
- Make the filename the same as your keyword.
- Include a minimum of 300 words description.
- Add the link to your website in the 1st line of Description.
- Make sure to have http:// at the starting of link otherwise your link will not be clickable.
- Add an attractive thumbnail.
- Add relevant tags as well.
- Submit your video to other websites like Vimeo.
4. Guest Blogging
Through guest blogging, you can get powerful backlinks to your website. There are a lot of websites that invite others to write content for their website.
There might be many reasons behind this as they are getting high-quality content for free.
For guest blogging, you need to try and find the websites which are from your niche. You can do a google search like Digital Marketing + “write for us” etc.
You can also go to the website https://dropmylink.com/ and find the websites which are accepting guest blogging related to your niche.
Download an email template for how to contact the website owner for Guest Blogging here
5. Audio Sharing Sites
You can get backlinks from Audio sharing websites. First of all, you need to create music online for free. You can use websites like soundation.com to create free music.
Once you have created music you can upload to audio sharing sites. To find out more audio sharing websites you can go to google and type ‘list of audio sharing sites’.
You will be able to find a lot of websites in which you can upload your music.
Now you just need to upload your file and get a link from them. You may need to create an account on their website before uploading the website.
Once you have created an account, just upload the file and in the description add a link to your webpage.
You can write a testimonial for a high domain website explaining how their product or services helped you.
You can reach out to them via email and tell a story about how their product/services helped you.
They will surely write a blog post about this and link it to you.
All the brand wants to share the success story.
It’s a kind of win-win situation for both of you.
This way you can get a backlink from a high authority website.
For e.g. You can go to google and type ‘leave testimonial digital marketing’
You can submit your website to several Infographics websites and get several niche backlinks.
You can create Infographics by collecting relevant data from the articles and then preparing it.
You can use the following tools to create Infographics which are Canva, Piktochart, Infogram, Visual.ly
Summary and tips while creating Backlinks
- Don’t create more than 10 backlinks of similar kind in a week. Build the links over time, not all the links at once. If you try to create a lot of backlinks overnight you can be penalized from Google for trying to gain the system.
- Vary the title and description in all backlinks which you have created.
- If the links are located on top of a page it is more valuable than links located at the bottom of the page.
- Your anchor text (words that are used as the Backlinks) should contain keywords or your brand name rather than just saying click here. But you should keep the percentage of those kinds of keywords below 60%.
- Try to create links related to your niche.
- Create the backlinks only from trusted and relevant sites. Check the spam score of the particular website before creating backlinks to that site.
So now from this link building guide, you have all you need to create High-Quality Backlinks, so start implementing these techniques to rank up your website on the 1st page of Google.
If you know some other methods which work for you, leave it in the comment below.
If you like this Link building guide Also, Checkout
Facebook Marketing tutorial 2020: How to Use Facebook for Business
Quora Marketing Strategy: Complete Guide to get started